[LLVMdev] ARM Qualification

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Tue Oct 11 16:48:34 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 06:20:17PM -0500, David A. Greene wrote:
> This seems excessive and unrealistic.  We're never going to come up with
> a testsuite that satisfies everyone's needs and doing so could well be
> counter-productive.  If no one can commit anything unless it passes
> every test (including performance) for every target under multiple
> option combinations, nothing will ever get committed.  Especially if no
> one has access to systems to debug on.

As I see it, there are regulary commits that introduce performance and
code size regressions. There doesn't seem to be any formal testing in
place. Not for X86, not for ARM. Hunting down regressions like
enable-iv-rewrite=false, which added 130 Bytes to a piece of code that
can only be 8KB large in total is painful and slow. From my point of
view, the only way to ensure that the compiler does a good job is
providing a test infrastructure to monitor this. This is about forcing
pre-commit test, it is about ensuring that the testing is done at all
in a timely manner.

Joerg