[LLVMdev] Profiling support in LLVM

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Mon Mar 21 14:46:37 PDT 2011

Hi Najem,

On Mar 21, 2011, at 9:47 AM, NaJeM ErMeLeH wrote:
> I'm assisting my doctor who is doing a research and he wants to use the llvm compiler, my job is to profile build the benchmarks using llvm-prof.
>
> What i want to know is the following
>
> 1- does llvm support profile feedback optimizations!?

Not yet. Please see Bob's proposal:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/37107/match=profile

> 2- when i've used the llvm-prof it's input is an object file (not binary as other compilers) my question is how could I profile a whole benchmark program using the llvm-prof ?

I haven't done it, but I think the correct answer is to use llvm-ld to generate a single bitcode file, then run llvm-prof.

> 3- is there a way to print the spill code information (e.g. spill code count in a single function or basic block) ?

-stats give you aggregate counts. Unfortunately, I don't know a way to do per-function reporting without using llvm-extract.

You might be able to scrape -debug-only=spiller output for block info.

-Andy