[LLVMdev] LLVM-based address sanity checker

Kostya Serebryany kcc at google.com
Tue Jul 26 01:57:22 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2011, at 8:05 AM, Kostya Serebryany wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > What would be our next steps in getting ASan into the LLVM trunk?
> > I'd like to do it in two steps, first for the LLVM part with minimal
> tests and then for the run-time library and all tests.
> > The current ASan's source repository will probably stay the primary home
> for the run-time library and tests as we plan to use it in non-LLVM
> environments.
> >

> Hi Kostya,
>
> I haven't had a chance to look at your patch yet, I'm backed up on "big
> patches".  Did you see my review of the safecode patch here?
>
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20110718/124515.html
>
> I expect to have similar concerns and suggestions for your patch,

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.
Indeed, some of your comments to safecode patch apply here.

Codingstyle: I'll try to cleanup as much as I can today.
Do you have any lint-like tool that checks for llvm coding style (similar to
cpplint <http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/cpplint/>)?

Documentation: everything is in the wiki. The main pages are:
http://code.google.com/p/address-sanitizer/wiki/AddressSanitizer
http://code.google.com/p/address-sanitizer/wiki/AddressSanitizerAlgorithm

"who is going to maintain": my team at Google (in particular, myself and
Alexander, in CC) are highly motivated to keep this working.
"Do you have particular clients": the Chromium project is a very
active<http://blog.chromium.org/2011/06/testing-chromium-addresssanitizer-fast.html>client.

"The work can be decomposed into small and incremental pieces":
   the LLVM part<http://code.google.com/p/address-sanitizer/source/browse/trunk/llvm/AddressSanitizer.cpp>is
just 1000 LOC. If you still like it to be decomposed, we can do it in
3
parts: a) general instrumentation, b) redzones for stack, c) redzones for
globals.

Thanks,

--kcc