[LLVMdev] tools to debug human readable llvm assembly bc code?

Eric Christopher echristo at apple.com
Thu Aug 18 17:03:13 PDT 2011

On Aug 18, 2011, at 4:56 PM, Christine Cheng wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I am very new to llvm so could you elaborate more about you meant by 'debugging lli'?

I'm not sure how you're running your large bc file ultimately so I don't know necessarily what you mean by "debugging" for the bc file. It's not really executable :)

lli is a command line interface to the jit/interpreter for bc files. You could conceivably set a breakpoint in there, but I really don't suggest it. If you're ultimately creating a native executable with your bc files then you could just make sure that the front end that you have emits debug info and debug that directly or just do step by step in the assembly.

-eric