[LLVMdev] glod plugin use

Swarup Kumar Sahoo ssahoo2 at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 10 09:53:08 PST 2010

Hi,
    I am giving more details about the commands which gave these errors below, which may be helpful in figuring out the problem.

>Hi,
>    I was trying to use gold plugin to compile and run some of my passes on some large softwares like mysql, apache etc. When I compile using llvm-gcc, everything works fine. But, when I followed the instructions on http://llvm.org/docs/GoldPlugin.html#build to use gold plugin, I got errors like:
>
>/home/vadve/ssahoo2/local/bin/ld: error: modules/standard/libstandard.a: no archive symbol table (run ranlib)
>/home/vadve/ssahoo2/local/bin/ld: error: modules/extra/libextra.a: no archive symbol table (run ranlib)
>/home/vadve/ssahoo2/local/bin/ld: error: main/libmain.a: no archive symbol table (run ranlib)

I got these errors when build system was running the following command:

lvm-gcc -use-gold-plugin  -DLINUX=2 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED -O4 `./apaci`   -o httpd buildmark.o modules.o modules/standard/libstandard.a modules/extra/libextra.a main/libmain.a ./os/unix/libos.a ap/libap.a regex/libregex.a lib/expat-lite/libexpat.a  -lm -lcrypt

When I replace llvm-gcc with the following ld -plugin command, I also get the same errors:

ld -plugin ~/local/lib/libLLVMgold.so -o httpd buildmark.o modules.o modules/standard/libstandard.a modules/extra/libextra.a main/libmain.a ./os/unix/libos.a ap/libap.a regex/libregex.a lib/expat-lite/libexpat.a  -lm -lcrypt

>I tried ranlib/llvm-ranlib, but it didn't work. Can someone help me, if I am doing anything wrong here?
>
>Thanks,
>Swarup.

Swarup Kumar Sahoo
Thomas M. Siebel Center for Computer Science
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
201 N Goodwin Avenue
Urbana, IL-61801
Phone - 614 264 9574