[LLVMdev] Support for per-loop pragma

Junjie Gu jgu222 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 17:42:01 PDT 2010

I'd like to add a pragma support in llvm. I am thinking about using a
llvm intrinsic to represent each pragma, such as
   llvm.pragma (metadata, ...)
 where metadata describes a pragma.  So if an application has:

  #pragma   p1 ..
  #pragma   p2...
  for (...)

The llvm IR would be

  llvm.pragma (metadata..)   // for p1
  llvm.pragma (metadata..)   // for p2
  llvm IR for "for (...)"

In this way, the pragma handling is quite general (for example, it can
be used to support frequency hint for a branch, etc).
And it should be easy for any frontend to generate.

A possible issue might be that optimizations might make the
association between pragmas and their loops (in this case)
less obvious.

Any suggestions/ideas ?

Junjie