[LLVMdev] Disabling rtti on default build - could it be reverted/re-enabled?

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at google.com
Fri Feb 26 11:14:50 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Pekka Jääskeläinen
<pekka.jaaskelainen at tut.fi> wrote:
> About --enable-shared. Could it be a good compromise to allow to
> link the LLVM tools statically (for the startup speedup) but still
> generate also a shared lib for external projects to more easily link
> with? So, by default always (additionally to the static lib) generate
> the big .so but only when --link-llvm-with-shared (or similar)
> is given it would link the LLVM binaries with it?

It would be straightforward to add another option controlling how the
tools are linked (I'm not planning to do it, but you can), but
building the shared library by default broke things on ARM, darwin-8,
and apple's internal builds. That's why it's off by default.