[LLVMdev] Test approach to handling clobbering llvm.eh.selector return

Garrison Venn gvenn.cfe.dev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:48:23 PST 2010

Bummer, I had a feeling I was only solving the test case that pertained to my problem: the clobbering of the
register, used by the selector's return, by intervening instructions (those between the llvm.eh.exception call
and the llvm.eh.selector call). The forcing of the selector's exception argument got rid of a bitcast problem,
and I imagined any other potential operation, that manifested itself after the reorder. So now I've got a hacked
version of DwarfEHPrepare that only works for my use case. :-) I guess it is time to look at SSAUpdator even
though this will not fix the selector argument problem.

So my new conservative IR generation resolution is:

1) Execute llvm.eh.exception as the first instruction of the landing pad.
2) Execute llvm.eh.selector as the second instruction of that landing pad.

Although llvm currently allows more flexibility, holding to those two
resolutions will potentially avoid the trashing of llvm.eh.selector's
return.

Thanks for the response

Garrison