[LLVMdev] Question of autotools about adding a new target for LLVM

Eric Christopher echristo at apple.com
Sat Dec 25 20:16:00 PST 2010

On Dec 25, 2010, at 12:17 PM, Lu Mitnick wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a beginner of LLVM and want to add a new Target for LLVM. I follow the document (http://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMBackend.html)
>
> to modify autotools/configure.ac. However when I type ./AutoRegen.sh
>
> There is an error that "Your autoconf was not detected as being 2.60"

Yes, we require exactly 2.60.

> I download the source of autoconf 2.60 and install it. And there is the other error that
>
> "Your aclocal was not detected as being 1.9.6". Now I don't know where to download the source code of
>
> aclocal 1.9.6. Would any developer mind to tell me how to deal with this problem??

aclocal is part of the automake package. So you need to install automake 1.9.6.

> I have another question that there is a sentence
>
> "You must be using Autoconf version 2.59 or later and your aclocal version should be 1.9 or later." in http://llvm.org/docs/Projects.html
>
> I have autoconf 2.68 and aclocal 1.11.1 in my computer. Why couldn't I auto-regen the configure file successfully??

We require exact versions to avoid excess churn and for testability. If there's a reason to move to a later version and people are willing to test I'll look to using newer versions to regenerate the file.

-eric