[LLVMdev] Why IR portable?

Samuel Crow samuraileumas at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 08:47:53 PST 2010

Hello,

It sounds like you've got the right idea.  I tried to write a portable bitcode
language once but it took too much of my time.

It is possible to write a target-neutral backend for LLVM.  That's exactly what
Google is doing with Portable Native Client.  If you go to the 2010 LLVM
Developers' Meeting website, you'll see a link for a presentation by Google
representatives about it:  http://www.llvm.org/devmtg/2010-11/ .

I hope you have good fortune in figuring out how to write portable code,

--Sam