[LLVMdev] 2010 LLVM Developers' Meeting Announcement & Call for Speakers!

Tanya Lattner lattner at apple.com
Tue Aug 31 15:25:01 PDT 2010

Fourth Annual LLVM Developers' Meeting
November 4, 2010 - San Jose, CA

The fourth annual LLVM Developers' Meeting will be held  on November  4, 2010 in San Jose, California, USA. Details on the actual location, registration, and other logistical information will be forthcoming.

http://llvm.org/devmtg/2010-11/

As with previous meetings, this gathering serves as a forum for both developers and users of LLVM to get acquainted, to learn how LLVM is used, and to exchange ideas about LLVM and its potential applications. Beyond discussing the core LLVM compiler infrastructure, the meeting will also dedicate a significant amount of attention to Clang, LLVM's  reusable, library-based frontend for C-based languages.

This meeting will be of interest to the following people:

• Active LLVM (and Clang) developers and users
• Anyone interested in using LLVM as part of a commercial product, open-source project, or research
• Compiler, programming language, and language runtime enthusiasts
• Those interested in using compiler technology in novel and interesting ways

Call for Speakers:

We are looking for speakers for this year's meeting. Topics can include the LLVM or Clang infrastructure or new uses of LLVM or Clang. If you are interested in presenting at this year's LLVM Developers' Meeting, please submit your talk proposal to us by September 22, 2010 via the website:

http://www.llvm.org/devmtg/talk.php

Sponsorship Needed:

If your company is interested in sponsoring the 2010 LLVM Developers meeting, please email me (tonic at nondot.org). We are looking for help funding active contributors or students to present at the meeting and for help hosting a dinner after the meeting.

=======

Logistics:

1. Registration

Attendance to this year's meeting is free, but those who wish to attend must officially register. We will provide registration information when available.

2. Mailing List

We also invite you to sign up for the official Developer Meeting mailing list to be kept informed of updates concerning the meeting:

3. Travel

For those traveling to the area to attend the meeting, we plan on blocking rooms at a local hotel in order to provide reduced rates to our attendees.  Details will be forthcoming in subsequent announcements.  Please subscribe to the developer meeting mailing list (see above) to receive such updates.

4. Financial Support

At this time, we are not sure if there will be funding for active contributors or students to attend the event. However, we are hopeful that we will have company sponsorship to make this happen. Those who are funded are required to present at the meeting and may have other requirements from their sponsor (ie. writing a blog post, etc).
If you need funding to attend the meeting, please submit your request to us by September 22, 2010 via the website:

http://www.llvm.org/devmtg/students.php

About LLVM

The Low-Level Virtual Machine (LLVM) is a collection of libraries and  tools that make it easy to build compilers, optimizers, Just-In-Time  code generators, and many other compiler-related programs. LLVM uses a  single, language-independent virtual instruction set both as an
offline code representation (to communicate code between compiler  phases and to run-time systems) and as the compiler internal  representation (to analyze and transform programs). This persistent  code representation allows a common set of sophisticated compiler  techniques to be applied at compile-time, link-time, install-time, run- time, or "idle-time" (between program runs).

The strengths of the LLVM infrastructure are its extremely simple  design (which makes it easy to understand and use), source-language  independence, powerful mid-level optimizer, automated compiler  debugging support, extensibility, and its stability and reliability.  LLVM is currently being used to host a wide variety of academic research projects and commercial projects.

For more information, please visit:
http://llvm.org

About Clang

Clang, a subproject of LLVM, is a modular and resuable frontend for C-based languages. It targets support for C, Objective-C, and C++.  Clang is mature and fast, and supports a fully working LLVM-based compiler for C and Objective-C, with C++ support underway.

Like the rest of LLVM, Clang consists of a collection of libraries, making it versatile in its applications.  The goal of Clang is to be multipurpose, allowing not only the creation of standalone compilers for C-based languages, but also intelligent IDEs, refactoring tools, source to source translators, static analysis tools, and countless others.  Other design goals of Clang include 100% compatibility with GCC and a high quality of implementation that makes Clang fast, scalable, and easy to customize and expand.

This year's meeting will include an extensive discussion of Clang and its applications.

For more information, please visit:
http://clang.llvm.org