[LLVMdev] gold-plugin compilation error

Bin Zeng ezengbin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 15:02:44 PDT 2010

  Hi all,

I tried to build the LLVMgold plugin. Something weird happened. Here is
the error message:

gold-plugin.cpp:45: error: âld_plugin_set_extra_library_pathâ does not
name a type
gold-plugin.cpp: In function âld_plugin_status onload(ld_plugin_tv*)â:
gold-plugin.cpp:141: error: âLDPT_OUTPUT_NAMEâ was not declared in this
scope
gold-plugin.cpp:199: error: âLDPT_SET_EXTRA_LIBRARY_PATHâ was not
declared in this scope
gold-plugin.cpp:200: error: âset_extra_library_pathâ was not declared in
this scope
gold-plugin.cpp:200: error: âunion ld_plugin_tv::<anonymous>â has no
member named âtv_set_extra_library_pathâ
gold-plugin.cpp: In function âld_plugin_status all_symbols_read_hook()â:
gold-plugin.cpp:443: error: invalid conversion from âconst char*â to âchar*â
gold-plugin.cpp:450: error: âset_extra_library_pathâ was not declared in
this scope
gold-plugin.cpp:461: error: invalid conversion from âconst char*â to âchar*â
gold-plugin.cpp:466: error: invalid conversion from âconst char*â to âchar*â
gmake[2]: ***
[/export/home/zbin/llvm/llvm/tools/gold/Release+Asserts/gold-plugin.o]
Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/export/home/zbin/llvm/llvm/tools/gold'
gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/zbin/llvm/llvm/tools'
gmake: *** [all] Error 1

There might be a header file missing(it is just my guess). I installed
binutils-2.20.1 which is not the latest version because the fresh copy I
checked out was not built successfully (I will report the bug to the
developers later). By the way, I did not find any directory or file with
the name bfd-plugins which is supposed to be there according to the docs
on LLVM gold plugin. I configured LLVM with
--with-binutils-include=/the/path/to/binutils/src/include. When I ran
make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1, the errors above appeared. The LLVM Suite I
have is not the latest version though. It is built from build 5658.

Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated a lot.

Bin