[LLVMdev] [RFC] Moving to Sphinx for LLVM and friends documentation (with partial implementation (in both 10pt and 12pt font)).

Keir Mierle mierle at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 02:40:52 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM, OvermindDL1 <overminddl1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 17, 2010, at 3:42 PM, OvermindDL1 wrote:

> >> 7z is supported just fine on Linux, I use it all the time, and it
> >> compresses text like that a heck of a lot better then zip (about a 4:1
> >> ratio).  But I will still put the zip up on my server, now at url:
> >>  http://www.overminddl1.com/stuff/llvm_doc.zip
> >
> > Requiring people to get and install boost to work on docs is a
> non-starter.
> >
> > What is wrong with sphinx?
>
> They would not need to, as stated, it is simple to take what is needed
> thanks to bcp, only thing needed is docbook, which is a *lot* more
> prevalent than Sphinx and more well known.  The useful thing about
> quickbook over Sphinx is it is designed for C++ project documentation
> in a variety of formats, from html pages, single html document, pdf,
> man pages, straight docbook, etc...

Just a random observation from the Python world: Once Sphinx started taking
over as the dominant documentation tool, the quality of Python documentation
greatly improved. This is not just because sphinx produces well formatted
docs; it appears that the real driver behind the improvement is that writing
docs with sphinx / ReST is pleasant and easy, so more people do it.

Keir