[LLVMdev] What is the meaning of addRegisterDead function

Jakob Stoklund Olesen stoklund at 2pi.dk
Tue Aug 17 07:52:23 PDT 2010

On Aug 17, 2010, at 5:13 AM, Michael.Kang wrote:

> Now I am writing a simulator by llvm IR. That is really a wonderful
> tools for us. Now I use gprof try to
> find the bottleneck of the simulator, the output as the following. And
> I found addRegisterDead of llvm
> is called too much. What is the functionality of addRegisterDead?

It is called from the LiveVariables pass. It is the first part of register allocation.

I think this has been resolved on subversion trunk. Are you using 2.7? Try upgrading to svn.

You can also disable it by running with -regalloc=fast. That does not produce as good code, but it is much much faster.

/jakob