[LLVMdev] Intro to the MC Project

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Apr 15 13:40:06 PDT 2010

On Apr 11, 2010, at 10:35 AM, Olivier Meurant wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for taking time to communicate on this.

Sorry I missed responding to this email sooner.

> In your open points, you speak about upgrading the JIT code path. If I want to take a look (or at least try...) on it, what would be the "roadmap" ?
>
> I assume, a MCJITStreamer is needed.
> And probably a JITObjectWriter (inherits from MCObjectWriter) and an associated TargetAsmBackend specific to the JIT (JITX86AsmBackend) ?
>
> What would be the chaining of calls ? The JITObjectWriter::WriteObject is called via the AsmPrinter::doFinalization. But how the AsmPrinter will be created ?

I'm not sure the best path forward on this, Daniel may have an opinion.  The two options are to implement a new mcstreamer, or to implement a new ".o file" in the assembler backend.  Of the two, I would think the later option is best, but I'm not really sure what it would entail.

> What was on your mind on this subject ? Anyone has already begin to work on this ?

No one is working on it!  It would be great for this to start,

-Chris