[LLVMdev] Call for Help: Testing

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Tue Apr 6 11:08:25 PDT 2010

On 04/06/2010 09:52 AM, David Greene wrote:

> The second problem is the lack of x86-32 testing on Linux.  This is only
> going to get worse as x86-32 desktops and servers continue to disappear.
>
> Pretty much the only way you'll get an x86-32 these days is by purchasing an
> Atom netbook or laptop.  Unfortunately, these kinds of devices don't suit
> themselves well to testing as they frequently aren't connected to the 'net.

While x86-32 disappears, virtualization becomes ubiquitous along with
x86-64.  What about running your tests in x86-32 guests under KVM or
Xen?  That seems like it would solve everything on the infrastructure
you already have.  You can run any guest OS you want, too.

> I have a netbook I can add to the testing pool.  If enough other people do the
> same perhaps we'll have at least a few up at any one time.

I've bothered the list with stupid questions about my toy project before
and plan to do so much more in the future as my real LLVM project gets
moving, so I ought to see if I can donate some cycles.  I know nothing
about your testing infrastructure, but I do have a 32-bit laptop that is
only getting occasional use.  How hard would it be to put it to use at
least until you ship?

Dustin