[LLVMdev] Call for Help: Testing

David Greene dag at cray.com
Tue Apr 6 09:52:08 PDT 2010

There was a short discussion in the comments of PR6696 about Linux
testing.

The 2.7 release is slipping primarily because there are x86-32 problems to
fix (there is also a Darwin problem and some other issues).

We have two problems with our testing:

The OSU/Google buildbots aren't running test-suite, apparently.  I didn't
realize that and as this is the public testing face for LLVM, I think this
needs to be fixed.  I don't know if that's in Daniel's new testing plan or
not but that's a pretty large hole in what those outside Apple are able to
see regularly.

The second problem is the lack of x86-32 testing on Linux.  This is only
going to get worse as x86-32 desktops and servers continue to disappear.

Pretty much the only way you'll get an x86-32 these days is by purchasing an
Atom netbook or laptop.  Unfortunately, these kinds of devices don't suit
themselves well to testing as they frequently aren't connected to the 'net.

I have a netbook I can add to the testing pool.  If enough other people do the
same perhaps we'll have at least a few up at any one time.

Another alternative is to add a buildbot recipe that builds x86-32 targets on
x86-64 machines.  Is this already available?  If so, it seems we should
already be running sufficient x86-32 testing.  As we apparently don't have
enough such testing, I assume we don't have this kind of recipe available yet.
I think most Linux x86 distributions ship multilib compilers so this should
be possible without too much trouble.

Thoughts?

                                    -Dave