[LLVMdev] help with llvm make system

Stefan Oestreicher so at deluxe-design.at
Tue Sep 22 05:51:00 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm working on a compiler for a small toy language and I'm using the
llvm sample project layout, i.e. the llvm make system.
I've got one library (lomo-core) which contains my parser and all that
stuff and one tool (lomoc) that's my compiler.
The tool declares the library as dependency using:
USEDLIBS = lomo-core

Now that I've started to add IR generation I declared the following
dependencies in the library makefile:
LINK_COMPONENTS := support system engine

This compiles and links the library without problems.

But no matter what I do to the makefile of the tool it won't compile. I
always get errors in llvm/Support/Annotation.h that look like some type
declarations are missing. Unfortunately my experience building C/C++
programs, especially with make, is very limited if not to say
non-existent so I'm pretty much clueless and I would very much
appreciate any hint on what I'm doing wrong.

Both makefiles also change the compiler and linker flags after including
the Makefile.common if that's of any relevance:
CXXFLAGS += -I/usr/local/include
LDFLAGS += -L/usr/local/lib -lantlr3c

I'm using llvm 2.5 and building with gcc 3.4.5, gnu make 3.81 on, may
the lord forgive me, windows using mingw/msys builds.
LLVM itself compiled without problems though so I'm pretty sure it's
just me doing something wrong rather than my setup.

thanks,

Stefan