[LLVMdev] FYI: Phoronix GCC vs. LLVM-GCC benchmarks

Eric Christopher echristo at apple.com
Sun Sep 20 15:11:29 PDT 2009

>> Don't see much of a reason to be incompatible with gcc on this one.
>
> Note that this comment doesn't really make sense. The set of
> optimizations which runs for -O1 and -Os aren't at all "gcc
> compatible", changing the list of what runs at -O1 doesn't make
> llvm-gcc/clang any more or less "compatible". Given that we are free
> to change the passes that run at -O1, I'm just suggesting we change it
> enough that it coincides with -Os. :)

Ha. It's a philosophical change. I'd still say that our O1 mostly
matches with the idea of "compiling for speed without taking too much
time" instead of "compiling for size".

That said, I'm not really against the idea in general, just that an
incompatibility would be confusing for those accustomed to the other
way. Why I thought that a new set of options would probably be best
for this sort of thing.

-eric