[LLVMdev] FYI: Phoronix GCC vs. LLVM-GCC benchmarks

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Sun Sep 20 14:44:49 PDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Eric Christopher <echristo at apple.com> wrote:

>>> I've always used O1 for a quick cleanup so that my debug code doesn't
>>> completely suck, but hasn't been optimized into oblivion for gdb.  Also
>>> makes looking at the resultant assembly dumps fairly easy.
>>
>> If this is from the compiler programmer perspective, we have better
>> tools for that. If this is from the user perspective, currently they
>> all are bad with LLVM for the former, and we should similarly fix all
>> of them. :)
>>

> Well, it's mostly for both :)
>
>>> But yes, that'd be crazy :)
>>
>> Was that a -1 on doing it, though? :)
>
> Don't see much of a reason to be incompatible with gcc on this one.

Note that this comment doesn't really make sense. The set of
optimizations which runs for -O1 and -Os aren't at all "gcc
compatible", changing the list of what runs at -O1 doesn't make
llvm-gcc/clang any more or less "compatible". Given that we are free
to change the passes that run at -O1, I'm just suggesting we change it
enough that it coincides with -Os. :)

 - Daniel