[LLVMdev] Building LLVM with cmake on FreeBSD

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Sun May 24 10:38:00 PDT 2009

Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> writes:
>
>>> Just checked that the makefiles generated by cmake work with `make' on
>>> FreeBSD 7.2 x86. The build fails while building `opt' because libdl is
>>> missing.
>> They absolutely do work, even on FreeBSD-current( I run that here),
>> but not using the native make (the one built as part of "make world"
>> which is a direct descendant of "pmake".  You have to use the GNU
>> make,
>
> Uh? My FreeBSD installment has `make' and no `gmake'. `make' is indeed
> BSD make.
>
> So, to recap, right now LLVM svn builds fine on FreeBSD 7.2 using BSD
> `make' with the makefiles generated by cmake.
>
> [snip]
>
>> I did give you one example of a statement I found in your makefiles,
>> which I'm absolutely certain can't be understood by our make.
>
> It is obvious that you are not reading what I write.

Not completely, because (at least to me) it's not making sense against what I
find.  I'd been lookiing at the llvm version 2.3, so I just got a copy of 2.5,
and I looked at the Makefile that came right out of the tarball, then I
regenerated the Makefile via the supplied configure script.  Right at the top of
both Makefiles is the GNU-style conditional "ifeq", and that's a GNU
conditional, one which just CAN'T work from any BSD Make (would you mind if I
abbreviated GNU Make with "gmake" and the BSD Make with "bmake" ?)  Anyhow, this
is the evidence I have that shows me that it's just not possible that you ran
this Makefile via bmake.  OK, the -f argument can be used to make either bmake
or gmake use files other than the default ones (first default "makefile", 2nd
default "Makefile", and there are others), so if you want to tell me that I need
to look at some other file, what's it's name?  I mean, you have to admit, I
think, that I have some evidence here which at first glance seems to prove to me
that it's not possible to run your build scripts via bmake.

However, I can think of a set of unlikely scenarios where I could be wrong, so
lets talk about it, ok?  Honestly, I detest arguing about this, because I *like*
your project, and don't want to be in this position, disagreeing with you.  On
top  of this, I don't much like arguing to begin with, and finally, I have this
bias against the horde of folks who can't be bothered to learn either gmake or
bmake, and need to write up one of the now large horde of {b|g}make wannabees.
These all make troubleshooting more difficult, and that's truly my hot button.
To me, it's more imporatnt to be able to figure out what's wrong than any other
possible goal.  You might not agree with me, but I'm being honest in admitting
that's my true #1 goal, more important than anything else.