[LLVMdev] Arm port

Bob Wilson bob.wilson at apple.com
Wed May 20 14:02:51 PDT 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 1:38 PM, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Hmm.  Well, my motivation is that I recently bought a Pandora (it
> has the
> Cortex-A8).  It's not going to arrive here for a couple more months,
> I think.
> When it does finally arrive, I want to be able to immediately begin
> work on
> replacing the Linux that comes pre-installed with FreeBSD-arm.

Hi Chuck,

I'm not very familiar with the Pandora, but as far as I know ARM is
pretty good about backward compatibility.  You should be able to run
ARM code compiled by LLVM on it.  LLVM currently only generates code
for version 6 of the ARM architecture, so you wouldn't be taking full
advantage of the Pandora's processor but it may not matter, depending
on what you're trying to do with it.

If you are able to try out LLVM for ARM, we would welcome your
feedback and contributions!

--Bob