[LLVMdev] Vector logic regression in r73431

Nicolas Capens nicolas at capens.net
Thu Jul 30 05:57:01 PDT 2009

Hi all,
Hi Eli,

No, that appears to be something unrelated. I'm currently using revision
75246, while that patch only seems to apply to some later revision.

Anyway, I actually located the real bug. Right at the end of
InstCombiner::SimplifyDemandedUseBits, there's this piece of code:

  // If the client is only demanding bits that we know, return the known
  // constant.
  if ((DemandedMask & (RHSKnownZero|RHSKnownOne)) == DemandedMask) {
    Constant *C = Context->getConstantInt(RHSKnownOne);
    if (isa<PointerType>(V->getType()))
      C = Context->getConstantExprIntToPtr(C, V->getType());
    return C;
  }
  return false;
}

Note that C is a scalar integer, and so when V is actually a vector the type
isn't preserved.

I'm not entirely sure how this function is supposed to work with vectors
though. DemandedMask, KnownOne and KnownZero are APInt's (scalars) the size
of an element of the vector. So when, as the comment describes, only known
bits are demanded, does that apply to just one element of the vector or all?

Thanks,

Nicolas