[LLVMdev] OCAML and ocamldoc requirements on building andinstalling LLVM

Aaron Gray aaronngray.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 2 13:27:55 PDT 2009

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Aaron
> Gray<aaronngray.lists at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Jon,
>>
>> LLVM seems to be now dependant by default on OCAML and ocamldoc. Can you
>> please change this so OCAML is only built and enabled when an
>> '--enable-ocaml' flag is set on 'configure'. As I cannot do 'make
>> install'
>> on Cygwin as ocamldoc is not availiable on Cygwin. Also really 95% of
>> LLVM
>> users are not either going to have ocaml installed or are going to be
>> using
>> it.
>>
>> Could you please atand to this within a week or so as I have to do Cygwin
>> testing for the 2.6 release.
>>
> Hi Aaron,
>
> Would you be able to come up with a patch that does this? This would
> help matters, because you run Cygwin, and would be the best person to
> know if the patch works or not.

Bill,

Really its not only a Cygwin patch, its a patch for anyone who does not want
to have to install OCAML and its documentation tool in order to use LLVM.
Its really just a matter of adding a switch to configure and conditionally
building ocaml stuff based on its setting. I really hate the bash configure
script and really dont want to do it. Really it should be on the OCAML
writers list of finishing things to do out of courtesy for other users.

Aaron