[LLVMdev] Graphviz and LLVM-TV

Ioannis Nousias ioannis.nousias at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 13 09:17:20 PDT 2009

Chris Lattner wrote:

On Aug 13, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Ioannis Nousias wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying to get a graphviz output (DOT) of a code I'm compiling. I
> want to see the DFG/CFG of the LLVM assembly, how the operations are
> chained together. The documentation mentions something about calling
> certain methods from within gdb, but isn't there some option when
> invoking the compiler (I've seen some -print-cfg and -dot-cfg options
> mentioned in some source files, but I can't find which tool supports
> them)
>
> This should help:
> http://llvm.org/docs/ProgrammersManual.html#ViewGraph

Hey Chris. Thanks for the prompt response.
That's what I was referring to before. If I'm getting this right, I
should do a debug build of LLVM and the run it from gdb? So say, I run
llvmc from gdb, pass on the code I want to compile and then what? Should
I do a break point somewhere first, or wait for the program to finish
and then call the methods?(which I don't think it would work). I'm
confused. I was hoping for some CLI option or a separate tool that just
parses in LLVM assembly and spits out DOT.

>> Also, LLVM-TV seems outdated. I've tried to compile it with 2.5 LLVM and
>> got various errors due to API changes. Tried to correct them, but got
>> overwhelmed. Has the project been abandoned?
>
> Yes, it is really really old and abandoned.

too bad. looked interesting

thanks,
Ioannis