[LLVMdev] svn down?

Tanya Lattner lattner at apple.com
Tue Aug 11 09:05:39 PDT 2009

On Aug 10, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Erick Tryzelaar wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Ray Fix<rayfix.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I had a question tangentially related to svn.    I am very new to
>> LLVM.  It
>> seems like a long road to making my own backend, but I am wading
>> through the
>> documentation and experimenting with the code and having a lot of
>> fun with
>> it.  I would like to try various experimental things out and also
>> keep track
>> of the latest changes.  It seems like this is very difficult to do
>> with svn.
>> Fortunately (or so I thought), last week I found that http://repo.or.cz/
>>  was
>> hosting a mirror of the repo in git.  This gives me exactly what I
>> want--the
>> ability to try out things without disturbing anyone but also allows
>> me to
>> keep current.    I could be wrong about this, but it seems like the
>> git
>> mirror stopped working about 3 days ago and I wonder it is because
>> of the
>> server policy change.  I am wondering if using an outside resource
>> like this
>> frowned upon?  (i.e. considered an abusive practice)  Is there a
>> better
>> work/learning flow that you can recommend?
>> Thank you,
>> Ray
>
> Hi Ray!
>
> There was an email thread about how to work with git-svn and the llvm
> repository just a couple days ago:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/llvm-dev/browse_thread/thread/ec1422325054773f/76f76695f5c0c7df

Just to add, we plan on having an official git mirror once we get our
new llvm.org server. Until then, please consult that email for other
options.

Once we get our new server, we will re-evaluate these changes in
policy. For now, they are required to make the svn server responsive
to the majority of our users.

-Tanya