[LLVMdev] Absolute assembler output

Richard Pennington rich at pennware.com
Mon Aug 3 03:54:36 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm putting together a LLVM based compiler system that has two major use
cases. In "normal" mode it generates bc files and in "native" mode it
generates native object files.

I'm targeting embedded environments to I'm not very interested in, e.g,
shared libraries.

In native mode, the normal compile/generate bc/generate asm/as/ld flow
is used.

In bitcode mode the object files are bc files and archives contain bc as
well. A program is built by linking the bc files and archives into a
single bc file with no external references.

Currently, I generate asm/as/ld the resultant file. I was thinking that
it would be interesting to modify gnu as to read a (simplified) linker
script file and do the (simplified) locating itself.

Does that sound completely out of whack? If so, maybe a few more cups of
coffee will make the idea go away.

-Rich

P.S. In re-reading this email I realize that it is a binutils question
more than an LLVM question and therefore off topic. I hope you don't
mind that I send it anyway because I value the list's opinion.

P.P.S. It also occurs to me that gnu as may not handle absolute sections
at all (getting rid of relocation records, for example), which might
mean writing an assembler from scratch may be the way to go.