[LLVMdev] Math Library Intrinsics as native intrinsics

Dan Gohman gohman at apple.com
Tue Apr 14 09:46:20 PDT 2009

There's at least one other LLVM user which would find these
useful, and probably more, so it may be appropriate to merge
this into the main tree. I'm interested to hear if anyone
else has an opinion here.

An llvm.math namespace seems like a good idea. Instead of
using "fpow" though, I'd prefer to just use names like
"pow". For consistency, the ISD namespace operators could
be renamed to MATH_POW and similar.

The text in LangRef.html that describes the semantics of
llvm.pow needs improvement. Here's an attempt at an
improved description of error handling for LLVM intrinsic
math functions:

The @llvm.math intrinsics use floating-point exceptions
according to IEEE rules for the corresponding math functions.
LLVM IR does not currently define the initial state of the
floating-point status or control flags, or an interface for
querying or setting them. The value of errno after a call to
an @llvm.math intrinsic is undefined.

What do you think?

Dan