[LLVMdev] State of CMake build system.

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Tue Sep 23 19:21:21 PDT 2008

Hello Scott.

"Scott Graham" <scott.llvm at h4ck3r.net> writes:

> I just tried this (from r56534). I get an "error" (below) from cmake
> (2.6.1) about Intrinsics.gen but it seems to write out sln/vcproj
> anyway.

That should be fixed now.

> Project.sln opens and builds OK (modulo a build error in llvmc2 that
> looks build-system agnostic). Nice work!

The failure on llvmc2 is, possibly, due to a missing file name on its
CMakeLists.txt. This has been corrected as well. Last time I checked the
MSVC++ 2005 build there was some VC-specific C++ error on a tool. I
don't know if this was corrected.

Anyways, right now the build is broken on all platforms due to an error
that, most likely, was allowed to pass the developer's checks by a bug
on the make-based build system. CMake catched the problem on the spot
:-)

> Also, I get around 10k lines of warnings (not that that's different
> than previously). Would it be desirable to silence those on VS builds
> given that it might be easier now since the solutions are generated?
> My suggested list would be: 4146, 4503, 4996, 4800, 4244, 4624, 4355,
> 4715 if there's somewhere easy to paste that. I think those are
> unlikely to be interesting assuming the main development on OSX/Linux
> is catching genuine problems, and would help reduce noise a lot.
> There's a handful of others, but I'm not especially confident that
> they're harmless.

Until very recently, I used /w (ignore all warnings) on the VC++
build. Strictly speaking, warnings should be fixed on the source code,
not just moved under the carpet, but I agree with you: this attitude
seems not realistic for the VC++ LLVM users, so I'll silence the
warnings you list.

OTOH, it seems to me that the development LLVM is too gcc-centric,
diagnostics from other compilers should be looked with special
attention, so we should take care on not shutting down interesting
warnings.

Thank you!

--
Oscar