[LLVMdev] State of CMake build system.

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sun Sep 21 11:16:28 PDT 2008

On Sep 20, 2008, at 2:22 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> IMHO, the CMake-based build system is almost complete enough to
> replace
> current MSVC++ project files (modulo some community review and
> bug-fixing). Is this enough for adding it to the LLVM repo?

Yes.

>> From the point of view of a MSVC++ user, the new build system is
>> trivial
> to maintain: you can add a new library or tool executable in less time
> that it takes to open the project file on MSVC++, it covers VC++ 2003,
> 2005 and 2008, generating project files or NMake makefiles on demand
> and
> it just requires a text editor for maintenance.

This sounds great.  I think the right approach is to check it in, and
then give the people with a stake in windows development a chance to
try it out.  Assuming it works well (i.e., it is an improvement over
the existing project files), we can then nuke the windows project
files.  Eventually, it would be great to keep extending it to support
development on every platform, maybe we can kill off the xcode project
files and even the makefiles someday.

Thanks for working on this Óscar!

-Chris