[LLVMdev] windows testing etc

OvermindDL1 overminddl1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 20:41:49 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2008, at 12:05 PM, OvermindDL1 wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Ideas and feedback are useful.  However, one systematic problem that
>>> the LLVM community has is that most of the regular contributors are
>>> on
>>> unix systems.  As you probably know, much open source software works
>>> by having people 'scratch their itch'.  You (and many other people on
>>> windows) are very itchy about this, but you're not producing code.
>>
>> The last good 2 or 3 times for various open-source projects I have
>> made code for ended up not using it for similar reasons to "not enough
>> windows developers".  Nowadays I have very little time to spare.  My
>> method would work equally well for testing everywhere, not just on any
>> one system, and I can help set it up, but would need help in actually
>> creating the tests as I have not used llvm in depth enough to know how
>> it is supposed to act and so forth, but I can help setup a testing
>> framework if people would actually use it.
>
> If you were interested in working on this project, it seems that the
> place to start is not by adding new crazy sorts of API tests for
> LLVM.  It would be a better use of your time to take what we already
> have and make it work (with one of your proposals) on windows.  When
> the infrastructure is set up, others could add tests in areas that
> they are knowledgeable about.

I am not sure how well the current tests could be ported though, they
are very gcc-centric, as in compile with llvm-gcc and execute what
llvm-gcc compiled, not very useful as an api test.  I have not really
looked much into the current test setup once I noticed how useless it
was for me, but is there a certain part of it that does not touch gcc
type things, that literally just tests llvm directly without any
middle stuff like llvm-gcc?  If so, I could probably work on getting
that into a more unified framework...