[LLVMdev] windows testing etc

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Oct 11 15:17:18 PDT 2008

On Oct 11, 2008, at 12:05 PM, OvermindDL1 wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com>
> wrote:
>> Ideas and feedback are useful.  However, one systematic problem that
>> the LLVM community has is that most of the regular contributors are
>> on
>> unix systems.  As you probably know, much open source software works
>> by having people 'scratch their itch'.  You (and many other people on
>> windows) are very itchy about this, but you're not producing code.
>
> The last good 2 or 3 times for various open-source projects I have
> made code for ended up not using it for similar reasons to "not enough
> windows developers".  Nowadays I have very little time to spare.  My
> method would work equally well for testing everywhere, not just on any
> one system, and I can help set it up, but would need help in actually
> creating the tests as I have not used llvm in depth enough to know how
> it is supposed to act and so forth, but I can help setup a testing
> framework if people would actually use it.

If you were interested in working on this project, it seems that the
place to start is not by adding new crazy sorts of API tests for
LLVM.  It would be a better use of your time to take what we already
have and make it work (with one of your proposals) on windows.  When
the infrastructure is set up, others could add tests in areas that
they are knowledgeable about.

-Chris