[LLVMdev] windows testing etc

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Oct 11 11:28:04 PDT 2008

On Oct 11, 2008, at 11:06 AM, OvermindDL1 wrote:

> I should apologize.  I have been trying to keep from attacking the
> current process that llvm uses for testing (although I do still agree
> that the current testing framework is more for testing llvm-gcc and
> not llvm), but I have not quite been so successful.

Ideas and feedback are useful.  However, one systematic problem that
the LLVM community has is that most of the regular contributors are on
unix systems.  As you probably know, much open source software works
by having people 'scratch their itch'.  You (and many other people on
windows) are very itchy about this, but you're not producing code.

If you have patches to start making specific progress towards your
goal, they would be really welcome.  Until then, we'll all admit that
LLVM could work a lot better on windows, and follow it up with
"patches welcome".

That said, I am really thrilled about the recent progress towards
cmake'ifying llvm, and we do have some very helpful developers on
windows (thank you!).  There are just a few very specific people who
are very willing to complain about lack of feature x, but are
apparently unwilling to help make it a reality.

-Chris