[LLVMdev] 2.4 Pre-release (v1) Available for Testing

OvermindDL1 overminddl1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 11:06:48 PDT 2008

I should apologize.  I have been trying to keep from attacking the
current process that llvm uses for testing (although I do still agree
that the current testing framework is more for testing llvm-gcc and
not llvm), but I have not quite been so successful.  Some basic
background.  I program for generally just two systems, Windows XP and
FreeBSD.  These are rather polar opposites, and most 'multi-platform'
things seem to be designed for things like multiple platforms of
linux, and not actually multiple platforms.  As such I have had to
find just about everything in every way I can that just makes it
simple to compile code for both XP and BSD (even with its usually
rather outdated gcc compiler), and it has been wonderfully successful;
I can, quite literally, just drop the source without any makefiles and
such, and just basically have it build everything in say a source and
header directory, using whatever optimizations and such I want, and it
just works.  I do use CMake, but honestly it is rather rare as I find
it generally just easier to compile and link everything myself due to
how simple I try to keep everything.  I develop from Visual Studio
2005 with the Visual Assist addon (I would drop VC++ in a hearbeat if
there was some other IDE, say like Eclipse, that got anywhere near the
feature-set that the Visual Assist add-on has, so far nothing is
getting close, without Visual Assist though, I would prefer something
else, like Eclipse or so, to VC++, but Visual Assist just swings the
favor overwhelmingly over), and everything is dumped into an SVN
repository running on the BSD box, upon which I will either compile
the project through VC++ on Windows, or I will login and sync to the
svn on the BSD machine and just run the very simple makefile (which,
quite literally, just builds everything together in specific project
directories at the optimization and such levels I want, nothing
special).  I have had no real problems (other then some lacking
template support in the older GCC versions that the older BSD's used
to use, the newer ones are better though, boost still worked with the
older ones, but not all my personal code did).

Either way, because of the way I build, I have developed a rather
large lack of interest in things that I do not consider truly
multi-platform.  As such I have found that just doing everything in
C++ itself just always works, no hassles.  At rare times I will whip
up something in python (although I, oddly enough, seem to have to put
in more platform specific tests in it then I do in my C++ code), but
for any of my bigger projects I just stick with C++ itself, I am after
all a C++ programmer first and foremost.