[LLVMdev] Calling LLVM API from within an llvm::Module

Marc-André Cournoyer macournoyer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 14:10:41 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm looking into LLVM to build a self-hosting compiler. I'm trying to
understand how to call LLVM from within a compiled LLVM Module (if
that's possible).
As a first step I was just trying to compile some code that uses LLVM
to LLVM bytecode, but can't get it to work.

$ cat test.cpp
#include <llvm/Module.h>
int main (int argc, char const *argv[]) {
   llvm::Module *mod = new llvm::Module("test");
   return 0;
}

# Compiling w/ no bytecode
$ llvm-gcc -c test.cpp `llvm-config --cppflags` -o test.o
$ llvm-gcc `llvm-config --ldflags --libs core` test.o # works fine

# Compiling to bytecode
$ llvm-gcc -emit-llvm -c test.cpp `llvm-config --cppflags` -o test.o
$ llvm-gcc `llvm-config --ldflags --libs core` test.o # craps w/
following: http://pastie.textmate.org/private/t33luliw4mdf7l2zkj8hg

Is that supposed to work?

I also tried creating a Function w/ ExternalLinkage calling LLVM C API
function with no success:

   Function *f = Function::Create(type, Function::ExternalLinkage,
StringValuePtr("LLVMModuleCreateWithName"), module);

Any pointer or explication would be greatly appreciated,

thanks a lot,
- ma