[LLVMdev] Validation Update

David Greene dag at cray.com
Fri Nov 21 13:47:20 PST 2008

On Thursday 20 November 2008 16:37, David Greene wrote:

> > What are the pros and cons of this? How much does it tax the server?
>
> It's an extra TCP connection out to the buildbot on every commit.  I would
> think that would be low cost compared to all the other processing that has
> to go on.

There's also a python script to run that actually makes the connection, so
there's some overhead there as well.

> > > Eventually we'll want to migrate the buidlbot master to some publicly
> > > accessible machine so others can contribute machines to do validations
> > > (for various architectures, etc.).  Where should this get hosted?
> > > Hosting at llvm.org would be great but I'm not sure that's possible.
> > > Daniel has a machine set up so that's a possibility too.  Wherever it
> > > goes, I'll need an account so I can muck around with the buildbot
> > > config as build machines are added, targets change, etc.

Actually, that's too pessimistic.  All I really need is a way to have a
buildbot master installed and a way to get a config file installed (and
buildbot reloaded if necessary).  That means at minimum the validation
coordinator would need someone inside to help set things up and make updates
on his or her behalf.

We're still checking into possibilities here at Cray.  I'll let you all know
when I head something.

                                             -Dave