[LLVMdev] Load/Store issues: tablegen/customization?

Daniel M Gessel gessel at apple.com
Mon Nov 10 18:21:33 PST 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 8:05 PM, Dan Gohman wrote:

> What version of LLVM are you using? I recently made some tablegen
> changes to allow nodes to have multiple predicates. See r57565 for
> an example of a change made possible by being able to have multiple
> predicates on a node, and it sounds similar to what you describe.

I retried this fairly recently, but it's worth trying again.

>> (2) The HW I'm targeting does not have byte/short load/store; the
>> finest granularity is aligned 32 bit load/store (like the original
>> Alpha architecture). In addition, I want to optimize certain vector
>> operations (128 bit load/store) and some are getting converted from
>> 32
>> bit to multiple 8 bit operations (e.g. store a 4 element vector of
>> chars becomes 4 one byte stores), but I don't want to provide full
>> vector register support (at this time).
>>
>> Any hints on a good approach to dealing with the 32 bit aligned load/
>> store limitations and mixing and matching "native" load/store support
>> of vector types with LLVM generated expansions of vector operations?
>
> For the 32-bit load/store question, I think you should mark
> loads and stores of i8 and i16 as Custom, which will allow
> you to write target-specific code to handle them. For the
> vector question, it sounds like a target-specific DAGCombine
> may be a possible solution.

For custom load/stores, is there an existing sample I could use as a
template?

I have been looking at the SPU code: It seems it generates a custom
ISD node, LDRESULT, which it then custom selects code for.

I have not been able to successfully create a custom load node which I
can then use a pattern match select on.

During selection, it tries to get info on the mem operand, and I that
information doesn't seem to exist (I create my original LDRESULT
equivalent with a simple getNode, which I suspect doesn't set up all
the mem operand type information?).

In particular, I keep asserting in the getSizeInBits. The match calls
getMemoryVT().getSizeInBits, which then goes to
getVectorElementType.getSizeInBits(). The getMemoryVT() result seems
to be where the garbage is introduced (the V value is way out of
range), which is why I'm guessing it's not being set up.

Once I get through this, I'll look into the combining question...

Thanks,

Dan