[LLVMdev] Python bindings?

Gordon Henriksen gordonhenriksen at mac.com
Wed Mar 26 05:13:41 PDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 06:39, Mahadevan R wrote:

> Are there Python bindings for LLVM?

I'm not aware of any. The PyPy compiler pipes LLVM assembly to llc
rather than building the C++ IR in memory.

> Apparently there was one ~2005; has this been updated since? Is
> anyone working on this?
>
> Is the LLVM dev community interested in this?

Yes!

Note that C bindings have been introduced since 2005, so there may be
a different route available than was taken then. Look in include/llvm-
c. The intent of the C bindings is to enable high-level language
bindings. The current focus is on enabling front-end compilers. Ocaml
and Haskell bindings have been developed atop them, the former being
in the LLVM source tree.

— Gordon