[LLVMdev] Potential breakage in llvm-gcc's ./configure

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Mar 24 12:16:36 PDT 2008

Am Montag, den 24.03.2008, 12:06 -0700 schrieb Tanya M. Lattner:
> > This is close to a showstopper for integrating an llvm-gcc bootstrap
> > into the nightly tester. The llvm-gcc ./configure needs to be called
> > very differently from the llvm ./configure, and keeping two sets of
> > options is Not Worth The Trouble, at least IMHO.
>
> So you didn't like the suggestion of having the configure for llvm-gcc set
> via an environment variable? That avoids having to deal with this directly
> in the script. Or am I missing something?

No, that was written under the assumption that passing in CC and CXX via
env variables wouldn't work. Things work now, so that assumption is
obviously wrong.

I still don't like environment variables. They tend to remain in effect
long after I forgot that I set them, creating all sorts of hassle. In
fact I suspect I already fell prey to this, getting llvm to compile and
check one day and nearly despairing when trying to reproduce that
success on the next day.
But, well, you use what you need to use to get the job done, so
there :-)

Regards,
Jo