[LLVMdev] Proposal for a Google summer of code project for the Java frontend.

Ramón García ramon.garcia.f at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 06:09:42 PDT 2008

I would prefer to see actual code to make safe schedules. With code I can see
what changes one must make. I can also show in detail these changes,
which would give security to the LLVM project that the proposal is
viable. By contrast,
without code, neither me nor LLVM project can ensure that the project will
be successfully performed behind schedule. Since this is a difficult
project (we
are talking about compilers which are complicated technologies) it is specially
important to have a good planning.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Nicolas Geoffray
<nicolas.geoffray at lip6.fr> wrote:

>  That's more or less true: generating shared libraries will improve
>  startup time, not steady-state time. It will decrease steady-state
>  performance (both for Java and CLI) because the VMs ensure a class will
>  be fully initialized before its use. Therefore, while the JIT will have
>  runtime knowledge of a class being fully initialized or not, a static
>  compiler will have to be conservative and insert intialization checks on
>  most uses of a class.

There was a misunderstanding. The issue with dynamic compiling is
not only startup time, but also memory consumption, and this is a *huge*
issue with Java applications. In addition, I think that in most of the cases
 a class can be initialized at compile time.