[LLVMdev] compiling release_22 witout bison installed gives broken build

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas.l.olsen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 03:37:12 PST 2008

Hi. I had a strange issue today. basically llvm-as refused to do
anything, borking out on the simplest of module:

; ModuleID = 'test'
@_nothing_works_here = constant i32 42

$ llvm-as test.ll
 llvm-as: test.ll:1,0: test.ll:1: error: parse error, expecting
`GLOBAL' or `CONSTANT' while reading token: '@_nothing_works_here'

It turns out that I forgot to install bison before compiling llvm, but
configure did not complain about this. After I installed bison and
tried over, the build worked perfectly.
So I'm guessing this is a bug in the configure scripts somewhere.

I use linux on x86 with gcc 4.2.2 and as said llvm from svn
llvm/branches/release_22

Baldrick helped me realize what was wrong (by building the same
checkout and confirming it worked) and encouraged me to write about it
here.

- Tomas