[LLVMdev] Code compaction passes?

Owen Anderson resistor at mac.com
Thu Jan 17 18:53:55 PST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 8:29 PM, Robert Zeh wrote:
> It seems like I should be safe to merge these, but I can't find a pass
> to do so.  Going over the open projects page it looks like code
> compaction is still an open project. Is it?
>
> I've read "Compiler Techniques for Code Compaction" and I was
> wondering if there would be any interest in a compaction pass that was
> a bit simpler then some of what's described in the paper.

Yes, definitely!  This has been on my long-term to-do list for a
while, but if you have the time/energy, go for it!  Note that LLVM
already has functionality for extracting single entry multiple exit
regions into separate functions, so you really only need to implement
the process of detecting equivalent regions, and let the extraction
code do the rest.

--Owen