[LLVMdev] HOWTO on LLVM with ....

Tanya Lattner tonic at nondot.org
Wed Jan 9 22:54:43 PST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008, at 8:52 PM, Ted Neward wrote:

> Is there an explicit document describing how to do LLVM with
> Cygwin? Or with Solaris Dev Express?

No, not really. There are some docs on mingw and LLVM (see mailing
list and the wiki) and some posts about cygwin on the mailing list.
Nothing official for either.

> And is LLVM considered a “safe” replacement for gcc on MacOS? In
> other words, if I’m doing some ObjC and C/C++ on the MacOS, if I
> drop LLVM in, is it going to create some strange kinds of heartache
> later on?

I'm not sure what you mean by heartache. LLVM is used to compile many
programs (see the Nightly Tester for a list of programs and
benchmarks that are compiled every night). The best thing you can do
is try it out and see how it works for you. If you did happen to come
across a bug, the advantage of LLVM is that they usually get fixed
very quickly.

-Tanya