[LLVMdev] 2.2 garbage collector questions

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Tue Feb 5 10:01:03 PST 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Jon Harrop wrote:
> There is also the question of when the LLVM maintainers should start kicking
> stuff out of the LLVM repository. As soon as we get working examples I'm sure
> they will be deluged with mini Lisp/Haskell/CAML etc. implementations, most
> of which will snowball beyond minimal working examples and no longer belong
> in LLVM itself.

IMO, there are two classes of projects here.  The easy class are little
samples or demos or examples which are (at most) a couple hundred lines of
code.  These can live in the main llvm repo, f.e. under llvm/examples.

Projects that are bigger than this can be part of the llvm project
umbrella if desired, but should live in a separate module.  For example,
llvm-gcc, clang, stacker, java, poolalloc etc all exist this way.  The bar
for creating a separate module is very low, so this isn't a big issue.

One real issue though is that these projects will get out of synch with
mainline if noone is active to maintain it (e.g. java).  In my mind, this
is actually a good thing: putting these into mainline would cause
increased maintenance burden in the case when noone is interested in the
project.  When someone later becomes reinterested in a project, it usually
isn't too hard to synch the project up to mainline again.

Anyway, in short, bring on the deluge!

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/