[LLVMdev] 2.2 garbage collector questions

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Tue Feb 5 09:38:34 PST 2008

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 17:22:36 Jaap Suter wrote:
> if anybody has time, I would recommend putting a big disclaimer at the top
> of the garbage collection page that explains that, for the most part,
> garbage collection falls outside of LLVM's domain.

Yes. However, I think it would also be extremely productive to have working
examples showcasing what LLVM does provide, e.g. with trivial GC and
exception mechanisms. If nothing else, this would at least prove that they
really do work. :-)

> Just a head's up from an beginner/intermediate LLVM programmer. The current
> state of the GC documentation makes it seem as if: "you just connect the GC
> and it works". I'm sure that isn't the intention, but judging from some of
> the posts on this mailing lists over the past months, this seems to be a
> common expectation.

I think that is the goal though. New users are certainly expecting it to work
because that's the way its phrased. It isn't there yet but it continues to
improve at a tremendous rate (IMHO). I'm just sorry that I haven't been able
to devote more of my own time to this...

There is also the question of when the LLVM maintainers should start kicking
stuff out of the LLVM repository. As soon as we get working examples I'm sure
they will be deluged with mini Lisp/Haskell/CAML etc. implementations, most
of which will snowball beyond minimal working examples and no longer belong
in LLVM itself.