[LLVMdev] Is there room for another build system?

Erick Tryzelaar idadesub at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 5 21:12:36 PDT 2008

So just to add to this conversation, I *too* was thinking about
rewriting the build system :) I've been writing a new build system
from the ground up, and I was hoping to see how my system would work
against llvm. I wanted to make sure that I understand the licensing
issues. I'm releasing my build system using just a standard BSD
license, which is compatible with llvm's license, right? I just have
to make sure any code I use from llvm's autoconf directory is properly
attributed?

Anyway, if anyone is interested in yet-another-buildsystem, I've got
the (pre-alpha) code up here:

http://git.felix-lang.org/?p=fbuild.git;a=summary

It's designed to be used for cross compiling, configuration, and being
really simple to extend, since it's written in python (3.0b2). It's
also only ~3500 lines, which is way smaller than any other build
system I've seen for what it supports. I'll be on #llvm and #felix on
freenode (as erickt) if anyone actually wants to talk about it.