[LLVMdev] Contributing to LLVM

Rajika Kumarasiri rajikacc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 02:17:35 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Shrutarshi Basu <technorapture at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello all,

Hi Shrutarshi,

> I'm a rising sophomore CS/Engineering student in the US and I'm
> interested in programming languages/ compilers.I think the LLVM would
> be a great project for me to contribute to, both to learn something
> and help the project. Unfortunately, I don't know much about
> compilers, much less anything which would allow me to make a
> significant contribution. I've started reading the Dragon book and

While I was taking the compiler class at the university, I started with the
Dragon book and it works fine for me. While you are learning the concepts
try to implement a small scale compiler. I can remember we were assigned to
write a lexical analyser + parser + code generator for a part of Javascript
language(for a subset of it, Javascript  is huge) as part of the subject
which helps a lot to understand the concepts. AFAIR there is a small project
which suits for a one semseter course at the end of the book.
Then you can start from here.
http://llvm.org/docs/
Next you can go here.
http://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html