[LLVMdev] MSVC 8 Build

George Russell grrussel at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 11 15:10:47 PST 2007

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with getting LLVM to build with MSVC8 express.

I have succeeded in getting trunk to build and run the Fibonacci example in
release mode. I have found various minor problems with the build system.
First, it appears not to be able to run the configure subproject commands
if  there is a space in the directory path.

Secondly, it fails to build different subprojects with release and debug
builds. In debug mode, it does not create the Analysis.lib, but this does
not fail in release. This in turn precludes a successful general build in
the debug mode.

Thirdly, in release mode, MSVC complains about the use of Debug in
llvmAsmParser.y
1>c:\llvm\lib\AsmParser\llvmAsmParser.y(3124) : error C2065: 'Debug' :
undeclared identifier
e.g. below.
// common code from the two 'RunVMAsmParser' functions
static Module* RunParser(Module * M) {

  llvmAsmlineno = 1;      // Reset the current line number...
  CurModule.CurrentModule = M;
#if YYDEBUG
  yydebug = Debug;
#endif

  // Check to make sure the parser succeeded
  if (yyparse()) {
    if (ParserResult)
      delete ParserResult;
    return 0;