[LLVMdev] llvm, gpu execution environments

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed May 23 00:16:40 PDT 2007

On Sat, 19 May 2007, Keith Whitwell wrote:
>>> It seems that LLVA and by extension Vector-LLVA assumes that looping and
>>> branching control flow can be expressed in terms of a simple "br" branch
>>> operation.
>>
>> LLVA is not a part of LLVM, so I won't answer for it.
>
> OK, I guess I misunderstood the papers I pulled down - my impression was
> that at some stage programs in llvm would be represented in LLVA.
>
> What, out of interest, is the relationship between LLVM and LLVA?

Vikram already answered this, but LLVA is a research project that uses
LLVM.  LLVM does already have vector support in place.

>> Basically, you want to model this as predicated execution, and you want
>> the code generator to predicate away as many branches etc as possible.
>>
>> One observation can be made though: there will always be some programs
>> that you can't map onto the hardware.  For example, if you don't have
>> branches, you can't do loops that execute for a variable number of
>> iterations.
>
> Actually, you can - there is a program counter, the loop keeps executing
> until the execution mask reaches zero.  Likewise branches are dynamic.

Ok, but can you supports 4 level deep loops with arbitrary indexed loads
in them?

>> As such, I'd structure the compiler as a typical code generator with an
>> early predication pass that flattens branches.  If you get to the end of
>> the codegen and have some dynamic branches left, you detect the error
>> condition and reject the shader from the hardware path (so you have to
>> emulate it in software).
>
> The hardware *does* support dynamic branching, and looping, provided it
> is expressed in IF/THEN/ELSE, LOOP/BREAK/CONTINUE/ENDLOOP type
> instructions.  Even CALL/RETURN.  The only thing it can't do is execute
> something like "GOTO" or "BRANCH" dynamically.

Ahh, ok.  Very interesting.

>> Does this make sense?
>
> Yes, but at slight cross-purposes.
>
> There are no cases where compilation should fail to produce a hardware
> executable result, within the constraints of the high-level language we
> are compiling.  Dynamic branches and looping are entirely within the
> capability of the hardware, provided they are expressed in terms of the
> hardware IF/THEN/ELSE, LOOP/ENDLOOP, etc, opcodes.

Okay.

> But it seems like my initial understanding of the intermediate
> representation within llvm is incorrect & I probably should just dive
> into the source to figure out what's going on.

Always good :)

> My concern was that llva throws away the information that I'd probably
> need to reconstruct these high-level opcodes required by the hardware -
> if the code generator can come in at a higher level while that
> information still exists, then a lot of things get easier.

s/llva/llvm/  But yes, you're right.  Reconstructing loops etc from LLVM
is actually really easy, but we don't have good support for it in the code
generator yet.  This is a desired area of extension that we'd like to do
at some point, see http://llvm.org/PR1353

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/