[LLVMdev] llvm, gpu execution environments

Vikram S. Adve vadve at uiuc.edu
Sat May 19 14:49:55 PDT 2007

On May 19, 2007, at 2:57 AM, Keith Whitwell wrote:

>>> It seems that LLVA and by extension Vector-LLVA assumes that
>>> looping and
>>> branching control flow can be expressed in terms of a simple "br"
>>> branch
>>> operation.
>>
>> LLVA is not a part of LLVM, so I won't answer for it.
>
> OK, I guess I misunderstood the papers I pulled down - my
> impression was
> that at some stage programs in llvm would be represented in LLVA.
>
> What, out of interest, is the relationship between LLVM and LLVA?

LLVA is a research project developing a more complete virtual
architecture, starting with the LLVM ISA as a basis.  This enables us
to use the LLVM infrastructure directly in our work.  The vector LLVA
work was a short-term project led by Rob Bocchino and me, developing
a general set of vector extensions to the instruction set, but we are
no longer working on this.

Our main focus in the LLVA project today is on a virtual machine
approach for enforcing memory safety and security.  We call this
Secure Virtual Architecture (SVA).

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.org